Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Most Important Miracle: Impatience

The first reason I think that we under react to salvation is our own impatience. Typically whenever someone is healed it happens immediately. There's immediate satisfaction. We like that because it fits how we do the rest of our life.

When someone accepts Christ, it's a lifelong miracle. There is a definite change in someone who accepts Christ, but really the only immediate thing you typically see is the person doing a 180 with their life. You will immediately see them change the direction they're going in. That's pretty dramatic, but it takes so much longer than that one minute to attain the Christlikeness which is the effect of salvation.

And this causes a lot of strife for a lot of believers. I know in the past I've gotten so frustrated whenever I messed up because I thought I was getting closer to "making it." I assume that all it takes is to pray to Christ, have Him zap me and I'll reach the perfection that He has planned out for me.

But I don't think that Christianity on earth is really about the destination. Once you have Christ, there's really no question about whether or not you'll reach the destination. The Bible says that we can't be snatched from the Father's hand. Once we're His, we're His and there's no changing that. I think that Christianity on earth is about the journey, as cliche' as that might sound.

God could very easily grant us perfection in a moment. We could attain the holiness that we as His followers desire. But I think that rather than just get slapped with a holiness arrow, and give it to us, the Lord would rather teach us holiness. And I think one of the main points of this journey isn't just knowing what it means to follow Christ, but experiencing what it means to follow Christ. I know that when I do fail, I appreciate the perfect life Christ lived all the more and that makes me desire to be like Him even more. And that will take time but it will come someday.

No comments: