Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Most Important Miracle: Laziness

We don't get excited about things we don't have some kind of investment in. Last Monday I got to go see my favorite band, Gomez in concert. They coheadlined with Josh Ritter. This actually led to a pretty cool environment since half the people there didn't know who Josh Ritter was and the other half didn't know who Gomez was.

My friend and I were standing between two people. One was a 19 year old girl and the other was a man in his late 30's. As Gomez took the stage the man started freaking out and screaming to the band stuff like, "thank you so much for coming back!" and "we love you!" The girl was obviously a Josh Ritter fan who was hanging around for the rest of the concert to get her money's worth. She leaned over and asked me what the names of songs were (obviously just trying to flirt with me) and ended up leaving before their set was up (which, honestly, ruined any chance she might have had).

It was pretty clear that the man had been following Gomez since they started over ten years ago. He cared about them because of the time he had put into being their fan. You couldn't have made him leave early. The girl could easily leave because she'd never even heard of Gomez before that night.

The same could be said of why it's easy so often for me and others to be apathetic to people meeting Christ. Maybe the reason we act the way we're supposed to rather than react out of an excited heart is that we're not investing into the Kingdom.

Maybe the fact that the we've grown callous to the power of the Gospel is the Holy Spirit shining a light on the fact that we've segregated ourselves from people who need it. No one would appreciate a doctor if they didn't know about illness so how can we appreciate salvation if we stay away from those who are perishing? When I surround myself with those who need Jesus, I'll be all the more grateful when He saves them. When I care about the life saved, I can't help but celebrate the victory.

No comments: