Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Mountain Top Experience


I spent this past weekend in a place called Dahab. It's sort of a beach town off of the Red Sea and was a very different and really fun experience. Dahab was on the Asian side of Egypt, so technically I've had my feet on four different continents in the past week, which is pretty crazy for a one continent guy such as myself.


Last night, my buddy Hans and I left Dahab got on a bus at 11 PM to head towards St. Catherine, which is where Mount Sinai is located. We pulled up around 1:30 and spent the next three and a half hours or so hiking to the top of the mountain. It was such a rough hike that revealed to me just how little I've been working out over the past few months. I had to take a breather more times than I'd like to admit, so I'll just say it was twice.


It was freezing and windy towards the top. There were a few moments where I almost lost it and took a tumble, but thanks to my cat-like reflexes, I was fine. Beduins live on the mountain, so we stopped at a tea huts that they run and had a couple of cups of Beduin tea to warm us up and they even gave us some Beduin bread as well, which is kind of like pita bread, only more amazing. I was actually pretty impressed with the little tea huts all over the mountain. Not one of them had a set up of Ten Commandment key chains.


We rented a couple of blankets to protect us from the wind and rain, then we set off for the top. When we got there, we found a spot that we thought we'd be able to see the sunrise from and prayed together to thank the Lord for allowing us to see this unbelievable place. We read a little bit of Exodus and then were then able to put that bread to good use as we took communion together. It was such an unbelievable experience.


And to top it all off, I got to see one of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen in my entire life. The clouds were just right to reflect the beauty of it all.


So I got to spend my Easter morning with the Lord and a good friend on one of the most important places on this earth in regards to the formation of my faith. It was here that the Lord revealed Himself in such a corporeal way that Moses was marked by His precense. It was here that God gave us His law. That law was the law the revealed to us our need for a Savior and set the stage for Jesus to come to us as a man, die for our sins and conquer sin and death. I'm so blessed that I got to rest in the heaviness of that. I genuinely can't believe that the Lord blessed me in this way. While I do miss getting to see my family for Easter, this is by far the most unforgettable Easter of my life. I'm so blessed. I love my Savior and Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap man! That might be one of the coolest stories I've heard. Please keep writing about your travels man, because I'm like checking this blog every day for updates. Love ya bro! It was cool goin to church with ya!