Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scotish Thoughts

This has certainly been a very active week in Scotland, so I thought I'd take a minute to share just a few thoughts from my experiences thus far.

-I have always thought that the idea of the drunken Scotsman was a horrible stereotype. It appears that I was wrong. So far I've been kissed by a drunk man (on the cheek thankfully) who kept trying to usher me into a bar to let him buy me a drink, invited by a drunk man to go to church with him last Sunday (sadly, a day late) who then gave me an standing invitation to stay with him whenever I'm in Inverness.

-Scotland is a lot like the south. Everything's fried, everyone enjoys a drink, they speak with an accent that few other Britain's can understand, they have words that they always use that probably aren't really words, and everyone's a Christian.

-I've had haggis. Haggis is a sheep's stomach stuff with all kinds of goodies. It sounds gross, it looks gross, it even feels gross in your mouth, but surprisingly, it's not that bad. Though, the gas it makes you produce afterwards is something to be proud of.

-Seriously, everything's fried here. Haggis is fried, fish is fried, candy bars are fried. I'm pretty sure they have steamed vegetables, but they fry them afterwards. Scots should be a lot fatter than they really are.

Today is my last day in real Scotland. I head out to Edinburgh tomorrow, but that no more represents the whole of Scotland than New York represents all of America. These have been some of the most interesting days I've had in my 24 years so far.

I miss you all and can't wait for each of you to take me out to eat when I get back, one at a time.

2 comments:

HymnSinger said...

While you are traveling, you should try to go to Malmo Sweden. Eat at the Southern Kitchen Cafe. Tell my son Mark that I said you get to have a free meal. (He owns the place!)

Tessalina Hollydae said...

I miss you so much. Trey and I have been following your blog and can't wait for you to get back. You pick the place for dinner.