Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Most Important Miracle

In the past year I've been privy to a lot of talk about and experience with miracles. Honestly, it's been pretty awesome. But it tends to be a slippery slope. It's so easy to have my mind always on seeking out God's hand and completely ignoring His face. It's easy to let my worship slide away from my first love and instead simply settle for the supernatural.

And one of the most unsettling things I've seen in my own heart in all of this is that it seems to be a lot easier to get more excited about healed bodies than healed hearts. Paul describes what is supposed to be of first importance to us:

"That Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that He was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance to the Scriptures."

What Paul says isn't signs and wonders, but the Gospel. Everything in our Christian life is to point to the Gospel. Healings and miracles are important only in that they point to the Gospel. But it's important to know that salvation, too, is a miracle. In fact, it's the only miracle that actually matters. What use is it for someone's legs to be healed if they're only able to walk confidently to hell? What use is it for a cancer patient to be made well if all they have to look forward to is a comfortable path to damnation?

So why on earth is it so easy for us to freak out in excitement towards healings and other miracles, but respond to salvation with excitement, but more excitement out of the fact that that's how you're supposed to react towards salvation?

I think I've come up with three reasons why we tend to under react to God's greatest miracle. Over the next few days I'll highlight these three reasons.

No comments: