Thursday, March 6, 2008

Passion

One of my all time favorite things about myself used to be that I was passionate. Sure, sometimes it made me come off as loud and even a little obnoxious at times, but overall, it was for good reasons. I've always been a passionate guy.

But lately it just doesn't seem that way and I think I've figured out why. Stagnancy makes me a much more glib person. Whenever I'm passionate, I'm a converting machine. Allow me to demonstrate.

Have you ever heard of the band Gomez? Probably not. But neither had any of my friends. They are my all time favorite band, therefore I was always listening to them and telling people about them. This was especially true around my junior year when I got most of their albums and was listening to them all the time. I was always talking about Gomez and a lot of my friends started to like them because of my passion for the band. And then I got all of their albums, listened to them over and over again and eventually knew all of the words. Then there was nothing new to listen to and the passion slowly died...

Then they came Atlanta for a concert and I was completely excited again!

Then I tired out a little more again.

Then they released a new album and came to the Orange Peel all in one week!

And now I'm probably going to be less excited about them until their new album comes out.

It's sad really. I'm capable of so much passion in my life yet I allow myself to get lazy and it just dies out. I'm not sure how to fix this problem, though. I'll try to touch on this a little more later. But either way, I now realize that Gomez is awesome and really needs to come back to town. I miss you Ian!!!

2 comments:

Tessalina Hollydae said...

Oh, I **am** glad you've returned. And glib or not, you're oneofmy favorite people.

Word to your motha.

B.L. Holliday said...

What's funny is that I'm listening to Gomez. Right now. Make No Sound.

I agree with you, but warn you to not allow your passions to consume you. That alone could be the difference between engaging a stranger in interesting conversation and watching people nod politely as they back away from the potentially crazy person. You know, like how I try to avoid the hail fire and brimstone people downtown, and try to find the closest exit when confronted by somebody who's gotten so excited about their spirituality that their feet can't quite reach the ground any more.

Glad to see the blog back. Maybe I should try doing a bit sometime soon.