Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It's a doozy!

I've found in my life I have a bad habit of not taking first steps. When I was in school I would wait until the last minute to do research on a paper because it was arduous and boring. I wanted the research to be done and just concentrate on the fun part of actually writing the stuff out. (And in case you're wondering, yes I did, in fact, like spending hours writing out my opinion knowing that someone was paid to read it, so they had to.)

Even now, while looking for a job, I find it hard to actually start looking. It's hard to start the laborious task of wading through the thousands of "EARN $65,000 A YEAR AT HOME SITTING IN YOUR OWN FILTH!!!!!!!!" job spams and actually find a real job that I have a chance of enjoying. Once the looking's done, I never mind applying and interviewing and all of that fun stuff, it's just a matter of taking that first step.

And worst of all, I so often feel all alone in this search. I might speak aloud that God is the God of everything, but in my heart I know I really mean that God is the God of everything except my career search or my dating life.

But here's a cool thing that God's shown me in scripture lately. Acts 10 has two really cool stories in it. In one we see Cornelius, a gentile, getting a vision from God telling him to go find Peter, a man he's never met before, and bring him to his house. At the same Peter is getting a vision that has to do directly with the gentiles. God let's Peter know that the Kingdom of God is for gentiles too. Until Cornelius has Peter in front of him we have two unconnected stories, but once Peter is brought to Cornelius the idea of being afraid of that first step seems preposterous. And due to their courage and faith, the gentiles hear the Gospel for the first time!

So, as I sit and quiver over my fear of taking step one, God might already have everything that I'll need for step two just waiting on me, all I have to do is have the guts to stand up and do something.

1 comment:

Tessalina Hollydae said...

Trey's having to do the same thing. He's going into a place on Friday that I'm really hoping is the job to get him out of TA after six years there.

I believe you can do it! It's so true, scripture is a lot easier to apply to anyone's life that's not yours. :-\ Chin up.