Monday, March 8, 2010

My Brain is Full

It's time for one of those super honest blogs where I talk about something I'm struggling with and give you a little insight into the inner workings of David. Pardon me while I grab a chair and sit in it backwards, AC Slater style, and just rap with you about what's going on in my life.

I'm distracted. My mind goes a mile a minute lately. It's not like I have tons of deep thoughts going through my head at once. I'm not under the burden of genius or anything like that; I've just been easily distracted lately.

I'm pretty sure that the reason I'm distracted is because I don't allow myself enough quiet time to just get my thoughts out there. The other night I was driving home from downtown, and rather than turn on my iPod or the radio, I just sat there in silence. I usually stay away from situations like that because I really like music and honestly, with all of the bad stuff that's happened in the past year, sometimes I just don't like to be alone with my thoughts.

The thing that really bothers me is that the times that I tend to get most distracted lately is when I'm trying to spend time alone with the Lord. Maybe that's because I have to be quiet during those times and all of the thoughts just attack me at once. I'm not sure why it's happening, but I do know that it's frustrating. Whenever I'm reading any other book I'm fine, but when I try to read my Bible and connect with the Lord it's like I have a little Micheal Scott in my brain keeping me from naming the 13 original colonies (ooh, pop culture reference!).

So I have a plan, and I would appreciate some prayer that I implement it well. First of all I'm going to start allowing more quiet in my life. I'm going to have times where I'm not on the internet, watching TV, reading, or listening to music. I'm just going to get alone in my room and just sit there with my thoughts.

Second of all I'm going to put 2 Corinthians 10:5 into action. The way I see it, Christ is in everything, so no matter how out there and distracting a thought may be, it still connects to Jesus in some way. So whenever I'm trying to concentrate on the Lord and I start thinking about how great some blueberry pancakes would be, I'm going to take a second to thank the Lord for blueberry pancakes and bring it back around to Him. (On a side note, how great are blueberry pancakes? I mean honestly, thank You Lord for creating a dish that allows us to have something that tastes like candy for breakfast!) Everything can be brought back to the Lord, so that's what I'm going to do. My goal is to become a master of taking my thoughts captive and causing them to worship God no matter how out there they might be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome post! I need to do more of that...and bringing random thoughts back to God....and thanking him for blueberry pancakes? Awesome! (although I shall thank Him for chocolate chip ones...chocolate, chocolate chip ones with chocolate chips sprinkled on top, with powdered sugar and whip cream)

David said...

I love that breakfast is the one meal a day that you can add chocolate or cheese to anything and not feel even the slightest bit wrong in doing so.