Monday, March 22, 2010

An Explanation In Oh So Many Words

I'm not a great writer. Just putting that out there in case you were expecting something else when you come to this side of the interwebs. This is evidenced by the fact that I didn't blog last Friday as I promised. I made it nearly three weeks without breaking stride, which is, admittedly, longer than I thought I would make it; but it's more the reason why I didn't blog last Friday that makes me not a great writer than the fact that I didn't write itself.

I didn't write something for last Friday simply because I just didn't feel like it. That's the big difference between a good writer and a great writer. A great writer writes out of passion and a good writer writes outs of emotion. There's a pretty big difference there. Passion allows one to work regardless of how one feels. In fact, it's hard to get someone who's passionate to not do what's in their heart. Emotions, when allowed to control a person, tend to be evoke a lot of self-centeredness. And being self-centered is something that, sadly, I do usually excel at.

I'd like to think I'm a pretty funny guy when I put my mind to it. When I post a new blog to my site, I would like to think that I put a smile on someone's face. And the truth is, lately I've been pretty down. This whole being unemployed thing is taking it's tole on me and has been zapping a lot of my joy lately. Since I set up Friday to be a day for me to goof off and be funny, I just didn't have anything in me that was all that funny, so I skipped it.

I say all of this for a couple of reasons. First of all, I could use your prayers that I find a job soon (or a direct hire if you're able to give me the hook up). Also, I do intend to take my promise to blog regularly seriously, so just know that if I you don't see anything up on here when you might expect to, it's probably because I just didn't have anything to say. I would rather not say anything than waste your time with filler.

And for those of your worried about my self-esteem, though not great, I do actually think that I am a good writer. I mean, check out the last sentence of that first paragraph; it's over three lines long with commas coming out of the wazoo (which, contrary to the OED, is actually located behind the ear), and not a bit of it is a run on. I even threw a semi-colon in there. That junk's not easy, my friend. See, you're not even sure if I even used it write. It takes skillz to know how to do that.

I'll accept the fact that I can usually communicate pretty well through writing. But if you've ever actually talked to me in person, I'm sure you realize that there was a bit of a trade off there.

No comments: