Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sin part 2

I've been going through a lot of changes lately and I've really been growing and learning a lot in my relationship with God. For a long time I had started to view God as a force, rather than a person. This made Him feel so distant and cold. I didn't put a lot of effort into pursuing Him because a relationship didn't seem possible. But when I made that shift from force to person, it became easier to get to know God and to really love Him. You can't deeply love and know an impersonal thing.

Now, I'm starting to view sin in the same way. My view of sin is becoming much more personal. In the same way I find it hard to hate a tree blown into a house, I couldn't hate sin when it was only a force. But when I view sin as the personality and purpose behind the results of sin, I'm able to truly hate it and, I believe, view it as God does.

As I said in my last post, I've been seeing the effects of sin in the lives of people I love a lot lately. In most cases it's not even that particular person's sin, but rather someone else's sin that's having an effect on them.

I'm seeing sin as my enemy because it hurts people I care about. I truly am starting to see sin with hatefulness and I'm wanting to stay as far away as possible. I have pictures in my head now of tears flooding from the face of people I care about. I've seen the helplessness they feel towards the circumstances that sin brings. That's burned into me and I can't get over it.

I don't think I can sit on the sidelines anymore. For too long I've lacked a sense of urgency. I've been all talk and no action but that has to stop. People's lives are being ruined out there and I have the answer. I know how to help. I know who they need!

What kind of pathetic person would I be if I saw someone being beaten by a person that I knew I could kick the crap out of but still did nothing? But that's what I do every time I see sin and it's effects, yet I do nothing and just sit on my knowledge. No, I might not be able to heal the problem, but I know the answer, and if I just bring Jesus into the equation, sin doesn't have a chance.

So basically, I'm getting fired up over this stuff and a real passion is starting to build inside of me. I can't waste time worrying about how much I don't like my job or wishing my dating life were going better. Those are all secondary to my calling. Jesus didn't call us to make disciples of all nation once we get our lives together the way we want them. Why should God trust me with the blessings I want if I can't follow the simplest of instructions?

There's a dying world out there and I can't keep doing nothing!

1 comment:

Tessalina Hollydae said...

I really like this post, and the post before. Funny how you always tend to blog about what I need to hear when I need to hear it most.