Friday, June 27, 2008

Creation

I think one of my favorite aspects of creation is that we're made in God's image. I just find that awesome. No other creature on this planet can make the claim that God has imprinted the image of Himself on them.

Personally, I don't think I'm all that great of a person. The idea of having a kid made in my image terrifies me. I don't know if I like the idea of a little me running around. I can only hope that my wife is hot, smart, Godly and has a lot of dominant genes. But God is good. I would say He's the embodiment of love, but I'm not sure He has a body. By giving us His image He is giving us the ability to mimic Him and His goodness and love.

There are so many aspects to the image of God that show through in our actions; Christian or non-christian. But I think my favorite aspect of God's image we have is creativity. You see, God is creative. He has been at least since five days before our day one. And we have that in us. Look around at every other creature on this planet. None of them try to create anything. They survive, mate, and some even play, but none of them create. God has instilled this specifically in us. I've never seen a dog do so much as catch a frisbee and try to wear it as a hat. But humans do have that in us.

I see this in everyone. Look at the shape of the internet. It is full of places like Facebook, Myspace and countless blogs. The reason these things are so popular is because people have a desire to create something that is specifically their own. I've seen some blogs where the writing is absolutely horrible, if you're here now, you've seen that too. But that doesn't matter, what matters is that we have an innate desire within us to create, whether good or bad.

Most of the stuff we create is absolutely useless. When has a painting ever come in handy? Does a book ever provide some sort of primal survival need? Of course not, but we have them and I think the reason why is simple. They speak to our souls, which have God's image. They connect souls, which is a desire God has given us. We create so that we can connect and know that something we did matters. Whether it's fixing a house, building a car, or even something as private as keeping a journal. I'm not sure why, but when I write in my journal I always go into the mindset of writing for my daughter to read someday when I'm 70. I'm not sure why in that scenario I think I'll have a daughter, but I do. Is that a little weird?

I want to keep creating. I realize that I've never written a decent story, my drawings look like a Picasso if he had a seizure, my poems are laughable (as all amateur poetry should be) and not that many people really read my blog, but I do know that God put this desire inside of me. And I might have to create thousands of different things, but if just one thing I write speaks to just one person, I'll be okay with that. I'll know that I had to go through thousands of pieces of crap to get it right. And for some reason, I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

kelly said...

David, you're awesome!
I'm glad you have a blog so that we can have a friendship more than once ever 2 months.

And I like this post. Creativity is something I've been thinking about a lot lately...or my own lack of creativity, at least. I like your perspective. And your point that what we create doesn't have to be and isn't going to be perfect all the time.