Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I need the clap! ...WAIT!

I'm realizing more and more that my church is white. Really white. Maybe not Utah white, but white nonetheless. I realized this on Sunday when we had an amazing performer on stage. This was a guy who had toured with Little Richard for 20 years, so he knew his stuff and he was singing a Lenny Kravitz song. It was awesome. But during the performance, I look around and the best a few of us could muster was a small clap along to the beat and an occasional head nod. It was sad times.

And then there was youth tonight. I love this scene. The lights dim as the band comes on stage. A select few students rush the stage and as the guitar starts to flare up, they go crazy and...stand there. Some of them have their chins resting on their hands as if they're admiring the singer, which is weird because most of the kids doing this are guys.

I just couldn't help thinking tonight how much I need Josh back to join me in the Baptist clap. It's been too underdone since he left me and I feel that it's causing my soul to dim. We used to rock out the Baptist clap during a worship service.

In case you're wondering (and who wouldn't be?) the Baptist clap is a dance move. It is in fact, the only dance move allowed in a Baptist church; albeit a liberal Baptist church. It involve sclapping your hands with both elbows bent. The trick is this: you never actually move your elbows. You only clap using your shoulders for movement. And you must never, EVER move any other part of your body with the beat. The hands are the only things that can dance sin free. And that's only if there are no ladies present. I've included pictures to demonstrate below. Please enjoy!





I hope you've enjoyed the show. Bye!



3 comments:

Tessalina Hollydae said...

The Baptist clap is the tamest move in our church.

Big Willie-isms said...

BWAHAHHAHAAA!! "I need the clap"?! Now that right there is officially quote of the year.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are a little creepy, but the point is very valid.