Monday, February 2, 2009

The Details

In case you're wondering, here's what's been going on this past week. On Wednesday dad was supposed to go in for surgery to have his spleen removed, as the last post talked about, but things didn't go according to plan. They knew his spleen was big, but they didn't know that it would weigh 15 pounds. In fact, anything that could go wrong with the surgery went wrong.

Because of the size, his spleen had caused a lot of trauma to his other organs and there was a lot of bleeding inside of him. So after the surgery they moved him immediately to the ICU. He was put on a ventilator and had all kinds of fun machines plugged into him.

He ended up having a lot of fluid inside of him. In fact there was so much fluid in his abdomen it was cutting off his breathing. But they didn't know it was fluid and they thought it might be blood. So they told us that they'd needed to do surgery Thursday and that there was a chance he could bleed to death. By a miracle, he made it through it fine. Then on Saturday they went in to do the final surgery to close him up and take out all of the packing inside of him that they were using to stop the bleeding.

They were able to close him up all the way, and they thought they had gotten all of the blood. But because of the number of sponges and other things inside of him, they did an x-ray to make sure that they got it all. They saw something in there, but they couldn't tell what it was so they went back in. There wasn't anything in there, but because they went back in they found a spot that was still bleeding that if they hadn't caught it, they would have had to went in a fourth time to clear it up. I'm chalking that up to a miracle from Jesus.

Right now he's getting weened off of the drugs and the ventilator. Hopefully he will be completely off of it by tomorrow night or Wednesday. He's waking up a little now and will look at us and shake hims head when we talk to him and he'll smile at us too. He has pneumonia now, but they caught it early, so it shouldn't be as bad as it could be.

God's been so good to us. We've seen miracle after miracle and the Lord has been by our side the entire time. God's peace is all over the ICU. I keep hearing stories of God working in people's lives.

Please keep praying for us and my dad. I know that God can heal him completely! He still has cancer, so feel free to pray against that still.

Thank you all for the support so far through this! I'm so blessed to have all of you in my life. I love you all so much and I don't know what I'd do without you.

3 comments:

The Atkinson's said...

I just wanted you to know how much I love your mom and dad. Thank you for your blog and keeping us all posted. We are prayiing so hard for him. I know that Jesus is working great miracles in his life and the lives of the people around him. I am praying for you too as you endure one of life's biggest tests. You seem to hace such peace and I know that can only come throught Christ.

Anonymous said...

David, Thanks sooo much for the post. Being in Georgia, I feel out of the loop. I'm praying for your Dad to have a Full and Speedy recovery. May God Bless all of you in a mighty way! Love ya, Karen Bentley Wheeler

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I am praying for your mom and dad. I know you are all going to be fine because if your love for God. Thanks to your mom for giving me this blog so that I can keep in touch with ya'll about your dad. I love all of you and will continue to pray that God will bring your Dad thru this. God bless, Toni Mahaffey