Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Call to Prayer

I have a lot of things to say here, so bear with me. Dad has been in the hospital for four weeks as of today and things have been getting worse for the past couple of weeks. In fact, he's been getting a lot worse for the past year and the doctors couldn't figure out why. When they looked at his spleen after if was taken out, they found that he has lymphoma which is what is causing him to spiral downward so much right now.

It's bad. Dad might not be with us much longer. In fact, short of the Lord stepping in, there's really no chance of him surviving this. And that's my whole point of this post. I've never been in a situation like this where I've felt so powerless. I feel weak, broken, hurt and more at peace than I really should be.

The thing is, lymphoma, leukemia, breathing tubes, surgery, all of these things are God's light work. He can heal my dad with a whim if He wants to. So that's the first thing I'm asking. Pray HUGE prayers! Dad's still here and I'd like to keep it that way. The closer he gets to death and the more hopeless it looks, the more glory the Lord will receive if He heals him.

Yes, God still does "that stuff," so unashamedly pray that God would fully restore my dad. Pray with authority against the lymphoma and leukemia by name.

Also, for those closest to dad who read this, I want to say to you, it's okay to ask "why?" But just make sure you ask to right why. Don't selfishly ask God why He's taking dad away from us. The honest truth is, my dad is an amazing man and I never deserved to have any time with a good father, let alone 24 years. Instead, ask why God is doing this, wondering what greater thing He has planned. The Lord doesn't want to hurt His children, so if we're hurting, He has a good purpose behind it. I promise you, it hurts the Lord more to see what my dad is going through than it hurts any of us because He loves my dad more than we ever could. I've never died for my dad, Jesus has. So don't be afraid to pray and ask why. Just make sure you ask the right why.

Please, let's rally together and beg the Lord for the life of my dad. I have faith that He can heal him. But if He doesn't, join me in praying for clarity and figuring out what purpose there is in all of this. Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose." I believe this and I pray that you do too. So search out what good God seeks to accomplish in this hour.

And I'll leave you with my verse of comfort again:

"For this light momentary affliction if preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On point man. God's plans are so much bigger than our own and His glory will shine through in every circumstance. Your point on praying BIG prayers is spot on, the hard part is not praying the big prayer but truly believing that God will answer the big prayers! We know He can, but praying without doubting can be hard.

Unknown said...

Wise beyond your years. People much older than you never grasp this concept. They view the aging process and all that goes with it as a personal affront from God. Watching the aging process in not fun, pretty or easy. All we can do is pray for the ones that gave us life and pray hard. I am praying for you David. May God reign down comfort, healing and love on your family.

HymnSinger said...

I've just come from North Greenville Hospital with Brenda. We went to shee Morris and Judy. I told them that they should be real proud of you. We will continues to pray for ALL of you as this terrible drama continues for your family. Don't lose your faith in God. Regardless of how this turns out in this plane, Morris WILL be healed either on this earth or in heaven.