Thursday, August 28, 2008

My opinion doesn't matter

I'm a bit of a worrier. It's an issue, I know. But I might as well put it out there. I'm a worrier.

God is very much using situations and key people in my life to break this, though. Which is awesome. But what I'm learning so much about worry is that the only reason worry comes is that I don't trust God. He has control over everything, and if I believed that, I wouldn't have a problem with worry.

So here are a few things I'm worrying about and what God has very clearly communicated to me thanks to a very dear friend of mine.

I don't feel like I'm far enough along in my relationship with God at this point. I'm doing everything I can to grow closer to Him but I just don't think I'm doing enough.

God's answer: Your opinion of our relationship doesn't matter. You're not getting any closer to Me than I allow you to no matter how much more you pray or read your Bible. It's not about your works it's about My grace.

I desperately want God to be proud of me but I just don' t think He is.

God's answer: Your opinion of how I feel about you doesn't matter. There's nothing you can do to change the fact that you belong to Me. You're My son and I designed you to do great things for Me.

I'm entering into a leadership position with the Greenville campus' youth group. I'm in way over my head and experience. I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't see how I can do a good job with this.

God's answer: Your opinion on how good of a leader you are doesn't matter. That's for Me to decide. That's for those you lead to decide. I put you there and I wouldn't have if I didn't have a plan for you.

Needless to say, I left these encounters very humbled. My opinion really doesn't matter. After all, who am I anyway? If I continue to seek after and trust God, He'll tell me how I'm doing. His is the only opinion that counts anyway.

1 comment:

Tessalina Hollydae said...

Isn't it unspeakably amazing to have a God who isn't swayed by desperate attempts to get him to treat you as unworthy as you are? The human in me (and the Catholic in me) stubbornly wants to remind God that I'm just not good enough to be in this relationship--but He just doesn't care! I'm so lucky He hasn't given up convincing me otherwise. That's patience. Just when I think I've begun to understand what "unconditional love" really means, He proves that I've just seen the tip of the iceberg.