Monday, August 18, 2008

Hunger

Last week God led me to fast for three days and it was quite possibly the most challenging thing God's ever asked me to do. It required a lot of self restraint and I think for the first time in my life, I finally have a grasp on what true hunger is.

Basically, not eating for a long amount of time sucks. When you don't have food, it's pretty much all you think about because that's all your body is telling you. But what really kept me going was one thought in my mind:

Food's coming. I'm starving right now, but food is coming.

The hunger I had inside of me was there because there was something I needed but hadn't received. If I didn't need it, there wouldn't have been the hunger for it. And that's the point; God gives us a hunger for many things, and He wouldn't do that if there wasn't something to satisfy that hunger with.

By day three of my fast, the hunger pangs had stopped. My stomach wasn't growling. The headaches were less. I wasn't overly irritable. But I still had a hunger. I knew that there was something inside of me that needed food. If I wanted to live, I had to have it. And to be honest, when I first had food after the three days were up, it wasn't really the amazing moment I had imagined it would be. My tongue didn't explode in flavor and my soul didn't sing the praises of the chicken noodle soup pouring down my throat. I hadn't used my digestive system in days, so it actually kind of hurt to receive what I needed so badly. I couldn't even have the good stuff that I wanted so much because my body couldn't take it.

And I don't think I'm the only one who can say that lately, I've been having a dire hunger for God. I've been receiving a lot of Him, but I just know that it's not enough and I need more. He's doing more apparent things right now than I've ever seen Him do and my first prayer when I see all of this is, "More, God!" And, much like my first bite of food last week, what I've seen God do in these past couple of months is more than I can handle. I don't know what to do with any of it. But I know I want more.

And I know that many other people in my life right now are experiencing this same hunger. Well here's what God very clearly spoke to me last week,

"I know you're hungry now, but food's coming!"

We're on the verge and even in the midst of a great move of God. And if you haven't seen it yet, I promise you that you will. It's so much more than just one church. It's God bringing the Church together to bring people closer to Him. I'm not sure what any of it is going to look like.

But here's what I do know. God doesn't give us any hunger that He's unable to satisfy. And I know I have a hunger for what's coming and so do so many others. So rest easy. Food's coming and it's going to be a feast.

No comments: