Saturday, September 15, 2007

Sacrifice

A few weeks ago I did a post called, Apathy. I talked about how lately I feel numb to all of the amazing things God is doing around me and in my own life. While I'm still dealing with this, I think that I've started to understand why. I've heard about the sacrifice that Christ made me all of my life and have depended on it for my salvation for nearly 10 years now, but I don't think that I've truly begun to understand what Christ really did.

I've always heard that Christ paid my debt for me, but I don't really have a grasp on the size of that debt. If someone is house sitting for you and when you get back they tell you, "A bill came in the mail and I covered it for you," then you will be thankful that they did that. But your thankfulness will be different depending on what bill was covered. If they paid your cable bill for $60 then you'll say thanks and be happy that they did that, but, in reality, you could have afforded it, and even if you couldn't, you really don't need cable anyway. However, if that same person paid your mortgage bill that you weren't sure you'd be able to make and keeps you from losing your house and not having a place for your children to sleep safely, you'd probably fall on your face in front of the person in humility and thankfulness.

Christ made a very real sacrifice that there's no way that I could have paid and it was 100% necessary. It wasn't a convenient debt for Him to pay but He paid it anyway. I pray that Christ will make the size and necessity of the debt He paid real to me. I don't think that I comprehend what He's done yet, but I think I might be on the verge of getting a glimpse into it.

No comments: