Tuesday, May 5, 2009

In Theory

Yesterday I went to the Battistero here in Florence. Primarily because, at the time, the line was shorter than the one leading to the top of the Bodacelli dome of the Duomo. It's a really simple place. It's actually relatively small compared to some of the other places I've been, but still, I liked it.

Inside, there was this series of three statues. A Levite, a Pharisee, and John the Baptist in the middle of them. The other two were staring at John with disdain and John was sporting his camel hair sweater and vagabond look. When I first saw that, my first thought was, "I love how God works." Meaning, I love that God chose the guy in the middle to usher in His son, not the religious professionals. This messy, homeless man was called the greatest of men born of woman. That's pretty huge.

But then it hit me, I'm not sure I really love how God works. I mean, in theory I do. But practically, I don't. I love how God works in other people's lives. How God can take the most messed up people and do enormous things for His Kingdom through them, and how He can so effect a well off, comfortable person that they give up everything they have to follow Him. That all sounds awesome, as long as He doesn't ask me to do it.

The Lord's been revealing a lot of the idols in my life these past few weeks, and I know that comfort is definitely one of them. The idea that God could ask me to give up everything and live the John lifestyle terrifies me. And what's worse is that living in poverty and having people think I'm crazy scares me more than the whole head on a platter deal.

So right now my prayer is that the Lord will reveal to me all of the idols in my life and to help me destroy them. I have no idea what He has in store for me, but I do know that I have things keeping me from fully embracing whatever my purpose is. And until all of these idols are dethroned, I'm not truly free serve God with everything I have.

No comments: