Friday, August 7, 2009

King Jesus

Sometimes I wonder why I journal everything that I do. I'll get these amazing thoughts, write them down, and then never look at them again. Maybe it's just because I remember things better when I write them down than I would otherwise. But, either way, on the rare occasion that I do look back at my journal entries, God typically reminds me that His truth is true no matter when I wrote it down. Here's a thought that He reminded me of.

I've heard Mark Driscol teach on how Jesus has three distinct roles: Prophet, Priest and King. Everything that Jesus does falls under one of those three categorizations. What this also means is that if we overemphasize or minimize an aspect of Jesus, we don't see Jesus as He is; we see a Jesus of our own making.

In my own life, I have no problem viewing Jesus as my Prophet. I experience Him naming my sin and convicting me to repentance. I especially have no problem viewing Him as my Priest. In fact, it's all too easy for me to view Him as the one who forgives and atones for my sin. But my problem becomes apparent when it comes as viewing Jesus as King.

Jesus is King of everything, and way too often I view Him as a just partner in my life; helping me make my way. But Jesus isn't my sidekick, He's my Master. He is sovereign over everything, especially me.

Viewing Jesus as King affects everything in one's life, but nothing more for me than my prayer life. When I don't view Jesus as King of all, my prayers tend to be pretty weak. It's only when I view Jesus as sovereign that I have the faith to pray big prayers, because it's only then that I see Him as capable of answering them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prophet, Priest, and King. I guess I never thought of it like that. Way to bring it man. Hopefully I'll see you soon.